Tuesday 9 November 2010

WATAMU Nov 9th
I woke up a little earlier this morning to the sound of rain hammering on the corrugated iron roof. I stood out in it for a few seconds. Like so much else in this part of the world, it is completely different from British rain. The droplets are bigger and heavier. They fall more persistently and cover a wider area. They are warmer, too. In fact, had it not been for the fact that I am living close to two girls, I would probably have substituted five minutes outside for my morning shower. I was a little disconcerted, on my return to my room, to discover a huge centipede comfortably curled up just under my pillow. It had, presumably, shared much of the night with me. My historical list of bedfellows is nothing like as long as most ( off the top my head I can think of children, Phyllida, new cricket bats, coat-hangers and, comically, John Knight – un grand lit etc.. ) but this is the first genuine creepy-crawly I have seen since I got here. I was glad I didn’t know until afterwards that they pack quite a powerful punch in the form of a sting.
I didn’t write anything yesterday because the day just got away a little. I went to the business meeting of the Watamu Turtle Watch ( WTW ) in the morning. Scheduled for 10.00 it started at 10.35. It was meant to finish at midday but went on until 12.50. I went to Nicky’s for lunch, so that someone else could have lunch at the centre. A visit to the supermarket and a release of a turtle later and it was 6.00. Will and I then cooked supper for the 6 volunteers and by the time we’d finished and tidied and it was time for a book, it was 9.00. Not a day of great achievement but one that had just the right amount of hours in it. I am becoming more convinced it is the norm out here.
I am much enjoying Beatrice and Will’s company. They are on the sort of backpacking trip with a purpose that seems to sum up what is good about young people and the opportunity to travel. They have done a month teaching EFL in a school, have helped as volunteers in the Masai Mara, are doing this for 5 weeks and then going for 2 weeks to Uganda for a holiday. There is an easy inclusivity about them and they have about 300 times more street wisdom than I do. We have been joined by Johnno, a slightly brash student from the University of Syracuse in upper New York State, and George, whose 22 hour journey from the Kampala environs ended with his arrival at 6.00 last night. Apart from the fact he is British, I am not that much the wiser.
I have one genuine job to do, which is to help to revamp some of the on-site information into a more coherent single message. Left to my own devices it would probably take me 3-4 hours but, involving as it does two of the local staff, it will take 3-4 days by the time we have met enjoyed chai ( tea ) and discussed the minutiae.
I am beginning to form some sort of idea as to how/if this could be something that might make part of a trip for a small group of students. It would not be a cheap venture but to combine 5 days here with some time in Tsavo and some voluntary work amongst local schoolchildren would add up to a fantastic 2-3 weeks. Even better is the opportunity it offers for gappies and best of all, in my view, is what it could do for post-grad gap years and/or anyone taking time out from work. Like a 53 year-old teacher with a wife and three teenage children.

No comments:

Post a Comment